Sunday, December 20, 2009

Speaking of Adventures in Food: Tarte Tatin

One food adventure that didn't go well for me was the attempt a few months ago to make Tarte Tatin, which is kind of an upside-down caramelized-apple pie. I think it was the Julie & Julia movie that got me wanting to try this, but I can't remember.

Above is what a Tarte Tatin is SUPPOSED to look like (photo credit: MarthaStewart.com)

The problem is that the recipe I used called for caramelizing the apples without being able to see them - they were under the puff pastry that serves as the crust. And, given the high heat you use, those apple slices caramelize FAST - mine burned. So when I flipped over the tarte, on top was a gooey black nasty-tasting mess (see above -- yes, I tasted it).
So I think the next time I get an urge for something like that, I'll either have it at a restaurant or try doing something like an upside-down caramelized-apple cake. This recipe from Rachael Ray's Everyday magazine is an example (credit for photo at left: Richard Press/Everyday with Rachael Ray).

There's also a very tempting recipe in the book Rustic Fruit Desserts for upside-down pear chocolate cake that I think could be adapted with apples and maybe also simplified. (There are some amazing photos in this book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment