Friday, December 11, 2009

Product Reviews - Healthy Frozen Burritos and Lunches

I've been trying to eat somewhat less meat (mainly due to the environment - there's plenty about that in Food Matters) and also avoid always eating standard processed foods with a lot of chemical-y-sounding ingredients that no one would have recognized as food a few generations ago (inspired by In Defense of Food). But I don't usually have time to cook up enough stuff to have healthy leftovers to take to work for lunch. So I decided to start tasting my way through lunch-compatible burritos and other items from the frozen organic/natural section.

Two from Amy's Kitchen were terrific:

Amy's Cheese Pizza in a Pocket Sandwich - very flavorful, tasty - "Classic cheese pizza combination of mozzarella cheese and our flavorful organic pizza sauce."

Amy's Vegetable Pie in a Pocket Sandwich - this was fantastic -could qualify as comfort food. I think this was the first time I had tofu and liked it - it's not in chunks - it helps give the pot pie sauce/gravy a nice thickness and creaminess but it still tastes normal. If you, like me, aren't a tofu enthusiast, think of this pocket sandwich as "tofu made tolerable" or more accurately, "tofu made tasty."











Another from Amy's was good, although I wouldn't put it on the same level as those first two. The (meatless) shepherd's pie was decent, but one drawback is that it wasn't that filling -- it only has 160 calories, 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber -- it's about half a lunch for me! The human body has to run on something, ya know.

Now, for two burritos I won't be buying again:
Amy's Breakfast Burrito - bland, and just meh generally. If you don't like (even small) chunks of tofu, avoid this one.

Guiltless Gourmet Mediterranean Spinach Wrap - the taste was only so-so, and as I looked at the wrapper, I realized I should have read it more closely. Sure, it says "70% Organic," but guess which part isn't? A part that really counts -- the spinach! And organic vs. non-organic spinach matters because it's one of the "dirty dozen." Also looks like the cheese wasn't made from milk that was free of antibiotics or hormones, which may not bother you but is something I prefer and something I'd expect in a "guiltless" wrap in the organic frozen section.

I'll close with an RIP for one of my favorite healthy frozen lunches that both the grocery company and Kashi told me hasn't been selling well enough for them to keep making or carrying it. Sigh. Kashi's Chicken Rustico pocket bread sandwiches are filling, only take about 2 minutes to microwave, are very tasty and just right (for me) in terms of calories, protein, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment