Saturday, December 5, 2009

Openers

I've decided to start blogging about food and cooking, inspired in part by the Julie & Julia movie and the books that inspired it, as well as a friend doing the same and some books I've been reading recently, including Food Matters by Mark Bittman and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

(However, I have no expectation of getting a book deal like Julie Powell did. Not that I'd mind. :-)

Food-related blogs I read often include:

Marion Nestle's Food Politics (her book by the same name has the subtitle "How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health")

The Bitten food blog by Mark Bittman of the New York Times

Bittman wrote something very interesting a while back -- if you have time to watch other people cook on TV, then you have time to actually cook for yourself. Makes sense to me and I've been trying to do more of that.

The Well health blog by Tara Parker-Pope of the New York Times, which often includes "Recipes for Health"

I occasionally tweet about food and cooking, although my Twitter feed also includes posts on Pennsylvania and national politics, as well as gay issues (and other random thoughts).

Since this is a food blog, and this is my first post (kind of like an "aperitif"?), I'll close by mentioning something funny another friend said recently: "I'll bet this is the first time boilo and 'aperitif' have been mentioned in the same sentence."

No comments:

Post a Comment