Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gooey Butter Cake and St. Louis Ribs


The fact that my partner is from the St. Louis area means I have been introduced to local treats like St. Louis ribs and gooey butter cake, which is even better tasting than it sounds :-) We were there most of last week and had both. The barbecue was from Lil' Mickey's in St. Peters, and I can say it's correctly rated among "the best ribs in St. Louis." The sauce is AMAZING - great balance of sweet, tangy and spicy. I actually liked the chicken better than the ribs, but both were good. (The pulled pork was good too.)

St. Louis is also home to an oddly named ice cream dessert called "concrete," but I haven't sampled that yet. It's a frozen custard "blended so thick that it and its spoon do not fall out when the cup is turned upside-down."

Of course, when I first moved to central Pennsylvania in 1996, I remember thinking that "potato filling" sounded funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment